Having chosen a strategically important area of the city dominated by the town hall and Piermarini’s celebrated theatre, Banca Commerciale Italiana commissioned Luca Beltrami to build the Palazzo; then at the height of his fame, the Milanese architect had already designed the facade of 16th-century Palazzo Marino in 1886. Built between 1906 and 1911 in the neoclassical style, its architecture contends with the pre-existing buildings, evoking the triple section of the facade of Palazzo Marino, and, in its high ashlar pedestal in polished granite, La Scala Theatre’s sequence of arches; the Theatre is also echoed in the central part of the facade, where the rhythm of the gigantic semi-columns is superseded by the central section, marked out by four ionic columns dominated by the pediment.
Renovated by Michele De Lucchi, the ground floor is now part of Gallerie d’Italia – Piazza Scala.
6 Piazza della Scala, Milan, Italy
Piazza della Scala, 6, Milano, MI, Italia