Palazzo Nervi – Scattolin
Headquarters of Intesa Sanpaolo, formerly Cassa di Risparmio di Venezia
Replacing the original headquarters of Cassa di Risparmio di Venezia (Carive) in Campo Manin dating from 1883, the current building was designed by Pier Luigi Nervi and Angelo Scattolin; it was opened in 1972 to mark Carive’s 150th anniversary. A rare example of contemporary architecture in Venice’s historic urban fabric, the facade uses a masterful combination of modern materials such as reinforced concrete, glass and steel to evoke the alternating solids and voids typical of the Venetian Gothic. On the ground floor there is an impressive bronze gate designed by sculptor Simon Benetton. Inside, a grand spiral staircase in steel, wood and reinforced concrete reflects a bold choice in architectural terms.
Campo Manin, Venice, VE, Italia